Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Estraven seems to be in quite a pickle now and has no where to go, at least that we know of. He has been exiled from Karthide, and is now a fugitive in Orgoreyn. I don't see how the Orgoreyn authorities could not connect the disappearance of Estraven and the escape of Genly. I think Estraven is hoping to leave Gethan and possibly be an ambassador of some sort or just a tourist on other worlds. He seems to be one of the only Gethanians interested in the Ekumen and what they have to offer. If I were Estraven, I would have no idea what to do once Genly reaches Karthide. I would probably either go into hiding, and stay in contact with Genly or just tag along with him. Estraven seems not to care any more for his own well being and appears to be working for a higher cause than his survival. I guess, Estraven could go and stay with his former Kemmer brother because he would most likely take him in yet Estraven shows no sings of wanting to do so.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering the same thing. But i have a feeling that he might just tag along with Genly. he obviously does not care much about his own well-being anymore so i don't think he would mind being caught. as long as he's with Genly and that Genly is making progress on his mission

    We shall see very soon.... =)

    ReplyDelete