Wednesday, April 29, 2009

another one of those books

I was a little surprised to read the last chapter and get to the end and find out that this is yet another book without closure. These books really annoy me. They tell a story and leave you hanging without any closure or finality to the story. Maybe Atwood wanted us to make the ending up ourselves, or maybe she was to lazy to make an ending herself. Another possibility would be opening the door for a sequel but "A Handmaid's Tale" does not seem like a series book and I'd be very surprised if there is a sequel. The afterward did clear some things up however and confirmed my assumption that the Handmaid's were named after their commanders (Ofwarren Of -Warren, Ofglen Of-Glen, Offred Of-Fred). It's pretty interesting how Offred isn't even focused on escaping on the end and seems obsessed with Nick. I'm surprised they never got caught. I wonder how he felt about their whole relationship and It'd be interesting to see his perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment