Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I am beginning to hate this society more and more. All of the restrictions and limitations on the people first of all, and the overall misery of all of the inhabitants. Also the women, as stated by the Commander, are supposedly only supposed to perform their biological task, giving birth. Otherwise they are supposed to remain silent. They continue to stress how much better off all the women are when really most of them have a worse life than they did before. It also disgusts me to think that they disregard love completely. The Aunt's say to forget about it and the Commander said he read about it in a magazine. I would hate to have an arranged marriage like they have in Gilead. You would just be stuck with a random person for the rest of your life and have no say in the matter. Actually this is a common practice in some societies in the world. I believe they justify it by saying "the parents know what is best for the children" and "they will grow to love each other". I personally would prefer to be able to choose who I am married to and not leave it to chance.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Safa!
    I agree with you in that their society would be an extremely hard society for us to live in. Afterall, we are so accustom to the freedom that we have with our lives (like just simply being able to look someone in the eye, and talk to each other openly and freely). I almost think it's pathetic that the men in their society only see women as tools for reproduction. Women have so much more to offer! It's weird that in most societies, the role of women is always downplayed.
    And I agree with you in that it's almost despicable that they disregard love completely. Part of getting married and having kids is falling in love and when you take that away, everything else just seems routine and pointless. I'd definitely like to choose who i marry - there's no doubt about that.

    - Jessi =)

    ReplyDelete